Original Light

Ford Police Interceptor Sedan To Be Discontinued

The era of Ford Police Sedans has come to a close... 

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/chicago-assembly-plant-to-stop-production-of-taurus-replace-with/article_23dff552-371e-5683-91ba-e4ba30bb0a2c.html

R.I.P. Ford Taurus...

And yeah, the Crown Vic definitely isn't coming back now (as a lot of people here think). All of Ford's cars are getting the axe in the U.S. except the Mustang. From here on out it's only going to be trucks, SUV's, and crossovers. 

Maybe someday they will have a new sedan, but as long as gas prices stay low, the masses are flocking to large vehicles. 

inb4 we start using foreign cars - which might not be a bad idea.  Get a little Volvo wagon in here.  I am genuinely curious as to what they have planned in the future for the law enforcement fleet.  Yeah, we still have Charger and Impalas, but there needs to be a bit more variety.

31 minutes ago, Giordano said:

inb4 we start using foreign cars - which might not be a bad idea.  Get a little Volvo wagon in here. 

Will probably never happen. Our governments have unofficial "buy American" mandates.  And I doubt the cost of importing, outfitting and maintaining European vehicles can compete with the costs of sticking with American.

46 minutes ago, Original Light said:

Explorer. 

I mean, I'm not opposed to this, but an all Explorer fleet feels wrong to me.

13 minutes ago, Black Jesus said:

Will probably never happen. Our governments have unofficial "buy American" mandates.  And I doubt the cost of importing, outfitting and maintaining European vehicles can compete with the costs of sticking with American.

Good point.  #Fuckforeignproducts (The last statement was brought to by the American government, G17 Media does not share these views).  Kappa

Ford is also downsizing there portfolio. The only two cars they are going to be selling is the Mustang, and the Focus. Ford is really known for the trucks too. The F150 has been the best selling truck for 40 years best in class which they hold onto dearly. I currently have 2017 F150 I absolutely love it.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/ford-announces-major-line-up-change-will-reduce-number-of-vehicles-to-two-by-2020

I'd be lying if I said I'm surprised. Specifically the FPIS wasn't really a popular model for PD's to buy compared to the FPIU. The FPIU basically offered everything the FPIS has but the FPIU has more trunk space, higher visibility among other things. 

As to the buy American thought on this.

Ford explorer $32,140 (civ)

BMW x5 $57,200 (civ)

1 hour ago, Mags said:

Ford is also downsizing there portfolio. The only two cars they are going to be selling is the Mustang, and the Focus. Ford is really known for the trucks too. The F150 has been the best selling truck for 40 years best in class which they hold onto dearly. I currently have 2017 F150 I absolutely love it.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/ford-announces-major-line-up-change-will-reduce-number-of-vehicles-to-two-by-2020

Interesting, I thought the explorer was also a huge seller for them. Never thought they would do something like this.

Edited by Black Jesus

5 hours ago, Giordano said:

inb4 we start using foreign cars - which might not be a bad idea.  Get a little Volvo wagon in here.  I am genuinely curious as to what they have planned in the future for the law enforcement fleet.  Yeah, we still have Charger and Impalas, but there needs to be a bit more variety.

There's no such thing as a 'little Volvo' :ninja:

Anyway with the ever increasing amount of gear you guys carry, and the more restrictive pursuit policies you'll soon need to move on to full size trailer trucks!

image.png.ca8ef9841c84bf6939c65fea3b370ccd.png

8 minutes ago, Hastings said:

There's no such thing as a 'little Volvo' :ninja:

Anyway with the ever increasing amount of gear you guys carry, and the more restrictive pursuit policies you'll soon need to move on to full size trailer trucks!

image.png.ca8ef9841c84bf6939c65fea3b370ccd.png

You hush. :P

Ohhhh, big rig police truck? Yes please!  Not good for pursuits, but imagine SWAT situations.

So will there be a replacement for the FPIS or will PD's stick with whatever there is available already? 

What is happening to sedans. There disappearing all over the world. Hatchbacks are stupid unless you want a small care and suv's drink fuel, there's nothing for someone that just wants a 4 door 

9 hours ago, Original Light said:

but as long as gas prices stay low, the masses are flocking to large vehicles. 

True, but that won't last forever, the prices can only rise... +eco trend... 

8 hours ago, ToeBius said:

As to the buy American thought on this.

Ford explorer $32,140 (civ)

BMW x5 $57,200 (civ)

You're picking BMW, which is a high-standard/luxury brand, not really a fair comparison IMO. Even more so with the X5 which is one of the biggest of their SUVs. The X3 for example is closer to the 40,000. With slightly lower dimensions, the Seat Ateca is at 24,000. The Peugeot 3008 is around 29,000. So on so forth, there's plenty of choice if you look for the regular brands rather than the fancy car makers like BMW, Mercedes, etc. Of course I'm not saying that it'd be worth it to buy Seat, Peugeot or any other brand, but I thought it wasn't a honest comparison to put Ford and BMW next to each other.

Sad for the PIS though, I liked the design of the car.

2 hours ago, Hystery said:

You're picking BMW, which is a high-standard/luxury brand, not really a fair comparison IMO. Even more so with the X5 which is one of the biggest of their SUVs. The X3 for example is closer to the 40,000. With slightly lower dimensions, the Seat Ateca is at 24,000. The Peugeot 3008 is around 29,000. So on so forth, there's plenty of choice if you look for the regular brands rather than the fancy car makers like BMW, Mercedes, etc. Of course I'm not saying that it'd be worth it to buy Seat, Peugeot or any other brand, but I thought it wasn't a honest comparison to put Ford and BMW next to each other.

Hey, these are the guys who use Tahoes for street patrol (and out here that's a several-million-worth truck for the top shelf guys only), and you're proposing what, a VW?

Just kidding ofc. On the other side, Americans are used to large and spacious vehicles. I can hardly think of any European non-luxury brand that's suitable... Maybe really a Volvo.

4 hours ago, Hystery said:

I just did a quick search on the bmw police cars and the x5 is what came up in the suv area and that was with MET.  I personally don't see many foreign companies fulfilling the roles that agency's seem to be going for lately ( in and around my area at least).  VW definitely will not stand a chance (on a major scale) for at leat 10 year's with the publicity that they received over the emission program they had.  When you start to play with foreign and domestic product's, usually domestic is the more cheaper route to go. 

But hey we may never know, they could go the NYPD route and pick smart cars.  (That was a joke NY people)

US police should never use foreign police vehicles. Can't imagine having an audi, bmw or volkswagen there.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:09 AM, Black Jesus said:

Interesting, I thought the explorer was also a huge seller for them. Never thought they would do something like this.

they are only touching the "cars" SUV's and trucks they are going to keep producing 

On 4/25/2018 at 9:55 PM, Original Light said:

but as long as gas prices stay low

hah... Image result for average gas price in us 2018

yeah that sucks the tarus grew on me but I'll always a be a crown vic guy. I have a 2011 cvpi and 2104 Taurus both ex provincial cars. Hope the vic comes back far surpasses any police car on the road. 

I was fucking heartbroken when I heard Ford was gonna discontinue sedans, man. They come out with the Police Hybrid, now this? I was just warming up to the Taurus!

Ah well. They're bringing out a 2020 Explorer, it looks fucking wildly aggressive, and, hey, who knows? There might be a Focus police package, or maybe some weird four-seater version of the Mustang that cops can use.

Plus, some depts (namely the LAPD, Denver PD, OPP, and Grand Ducal Police) plan to use the Tesla Model S (Grand Ducal Police already have two). The LAPD says they'll begin using them once the prices drop (The Model S costs about $95,000, stock).

And, hey, we have Chevrolet and Dodge to turn to if things get cold. Sure, Chevrolet's cutting the Caprice (Holden went bye bye because they realized they're in Australia), but that looked like shit anyways. And the new Charger looks good (but what'd be better is a Durango, mhm).