BigBlackGlock

'High' Poly models

Now, I've been modding GTA for a while, before I even had my account, but I never knew what would be considered 'high poly'. I know that poly means polygons, but at what point would a vehicle model be high poly? 100,000? 150,000? 200,000? I see that some vanilla models are around 20,000, but then I see ones at 70,000. If someone could help me out here, that would be great. Thanks!

2 hours ago, LAPDOfficerBraddock said:

Now, I've been modding GTA for a while, before I even had my account, but I never knew what would be considered 'high poly'. I know that poly means polygons, but at what point would a vehicle model be high poly? 100,000? 150,000? 200,000? I see that some vanilla models are around 20,000, but then I see ones at 70,000. If someone could help me out here, that would be great. Thanks!

I'm not an expert on polygons myself, but the higher polys are generally the worst.  If the polys are too high, you'll run into issues of game crashes as a result of too many of the high poly vehicle on the road.  I'd stick to the lower poly vehicles, though don't be afraid to try one that is higher if you really like it.  If your game crashes with a memory error, then you know you need to try a different vehicle.

4 hours ago, Kallus Rourke said:

I'm not an expert on polygons myself, but the higher polys are generally the worst.  If the polys are too high, you'll run into issues of game crashes as a result of too many of the high poly vehicle on the road.  I'd stick to the lower poly vehicles, though don't be afraid to try one that is higher if you really like it.  If your game crashes with a memory error, then you know you need to try a different vehicle.

Okay, thanks. I know what high poly models can do to your game; texture loss etc. Just wanted to know what would be considered high poly. Thank you for your quick response!

1 hour ago, Kane104 said:

Generally you could consider anything above 120K polys as high poly. Anything above 140~150K polys is inexcusably high.

All right, thank you. I do appreciate it.