JClem

OpenIV discontinued | Take Two claims game modding "illegal"

Cyan

Don't post any links to GoFundMe or Kickstarter pages here as we cannot verify where any funds would go.

OpenIV have a donation link on their website if you wish to contribute directly to them, although it is doubtful they would continue even with financial support.

Message added by Cyan

Original Light

Please don't upload or share versions of OpenIV - we don't have permission from the OpenIV team to host their work on our community.

Message added by Original Light

Here is an idea, we'll stop buying their games from now on and they will come to use begging for redemption and we will tell them what they can do. Give us our modding abilities back, and if they say no then we tell them to go back to hell and if they give in, then we can tell people to buy games made by Rockstar Games. If everyone went this route, they will either give in or go bankrupt.

6 hours ago, thecode said:

Here is an idea, we'll stop buying their games from now on and they will come to use begging for redemption and we will tell them what they can do. Give us our modding abilities back, and if they say no then we tell them to go back to hell and if they give in, then we can tell people to buy games made by Rockstar Games. If everyone went this route, they will either give in or go bankrupt.

You seem to be forgetting the console gamers that buy the games and can't do mods like we can (PC Master Race ftw). Also, your situation would require T2 to actually give a shit about their player base and to rescind a decision they made previously; neither of those have a record with T2 to my knowledge.

At this point, best we can do is hurry up and wait, continue contacting T2 with as polite of a manner as we can manage given the circumstances, and take whatever steps we can to hurt their sales. Steam reviews, signing the petition, spreading awareness about the situation, etc.  Just try and take the high road if you can; if a bunch of us are leaving vulgar messages all over the place, it'll give the modding community a bad PR image.

"Lead a peaceful life, but be skilled in the ways of violence."

19 hours ago, Officerzaine said:

I don't know is this is legit or not,  but I came across this on twitter. 

Screenshot_20170620-160839.png

It's on gtaforums in scripthookv thread added by admin as well so it's pretty legit

8gCLkhS.png

18 hours ago, KyneiZero said:

I wish that could be true.    I run a mid-range PC from 2013 and GTA V at higher settings looks and runs better than GTA IV on medium settings.

It is the inconsistent performance of GTA IV with mods that is my problem and cannot be fixed.  I've felt sick/headaches after 5mins when the game is having a bad day with stability.  Completely vanilla GTA IV runs okay,  but that's not why we're here.

Don't put in so much mods and stupid stuff in GTA IV, then the game will be stable, Every problem starts when you put useless shit in game

We gotta treasure LSPDFR! RAGE Plugin Hook could be the next victim that Take 2 is aiming for... If RAGE is taken down by them then LSPDFR is D-O-N-E! Play and treasure LSPDFR now while it lasts!

32 minutes ago, Reffie1997 said:

We gotta treasure LSPDFR! RAGE Plugin Hook could be the next victim that Take 2 is aiming for... If RAGE is taken down by them then LSPDFR is D-O-N-E! Play and treasure LSPDFR now while it lasts!

Or just keep a copy of all the files you need and you can play it whenever you want even if RAGE gets shut down?

I also want to make it incredibly clear that a company cannot "declare" something as illegal. In order for an action to be illegal, it must be against a written and signed in law - be it local, state. or federal -- not corporate. When you purchased GTA V, you didn't actually purchase the game. You purchased the license to use a game under their user agreement. Theoretically, R* would have to take all of its users to a civil court for violating terms of service.

Products like OpenIV, which are not bound to the GTA V "law" -- or user license agreement -- do not have to follow its agreement. It makes no legal difference that this tool can be used to modify game files. In theory, so can built in Windows Explorer. Where was Microsoft's C&D? The risk is entirely that of its users.

I want to refer to case law, where we can look at products like Limewire (rip). Limewire itself was not illegal. The product could be used to download pirated music - which would be illegal, and not against a user license agreement of any kind. That was the doing of the user still, not the product. Limewire got itself into trouble by knowingly hosting pirated music.

I'm a bit baffled with how this C&D was even taken seriously to begin with. It's unfounded, based on no laws, and is ONLY referring to GTA V's user license agreement.

15 minutes ago, Jeepserver said:

I'm a bit baffled with how this C&D was even taken seriously to begin with. It's unfounded, based on no laws, and is ONLY referring to GTA V's user license agreement.

It was taken seriously because the legal representative in Russia for T2, a multi-billion dollar company, delivered it in the proper legal fashion. Modding is not illegal; it never was and still isn't. OpenIV was technically in violation of the EULA for GTA V however, and T2 had every right to shut down OpenIV despite it being a total dick move. You also didn't take into account Russian laws, which I'll readily admit I'm not familiar with myself. But if the C&D order was truly based on no laws and was unfounded, I'm fairly certain that this thread wouldn't exist and OpenIV would be running and downloadable as normal.

OK so we know the importance OpenIV is/was to GTAV and LSPDFR. Hopefully it will continue that way for many years.

However. Don't Script Hook V have just as much importance as Open IV? This may not be the time and place to mention this. This is not intended to start any rumors or cause any bickering. I just don't understand how SHV has no impact on the LSPRFR community? Maybe because SHV is it's own entity and no one really cares until it effects them directly. My opinion.

I'm surprised of no mention of Script Hook V. Keeping people in the dark is a good thing(sarcastic voice).   

Without SHV GTAV (resent update) Granted everyone should know by now to keep a back up of GTAV for scenarios such as this. For those that haven't they are stuck where they can't even play the game. 

This all being conjecture on my part. 

Have a good day. :thumbsup::smile:

PS. I really did enjoy playing LSPDFR. Peace out!

I have no idea about Russian laws. OpenIV couldn't reasonably be in violation of GTA V EULA, as OpenIV is just a tool. You can't enforce your license agreement on a tool, as your license agreement is not law. If they did go to court, they would have tried to prove that it can interfere with online play. I can send a C&D to my neighbor for listening to Christian Gospel.

Edited by Jeepserver

1 hour ago, Jeepserver said:

We're talking about a couple of regular guys vs. a multi-billion dollar company. When someone with a ton of money threatens you with legal action, you follow along, even if you think they are completely wrong.

That is, unless you have the money and time to fight it.

"Work and ideas get stolen, then you keep moving on doing your thing."

2 minutes ago, willpv23 said:

We're talking about a couple of regular guys vs. a multi-billion dollar company. When someone with a ton of money threatens you with legal action, you follow along, even if you think they are completely wrong.

That is, unless you have the money and time to fight it.

This is what it comes down to, unfortunately. It would still be virtually impossible to attack its entire PC mod user base. Still, law is law, agreements are agreements.

OIV's team would be wise to release the source code for OIV. There's a strength in numbers.

1 hour ago, Jeepserver said:

This is what it comes down to, unfortunately. It would still be virtually impossible to attack its entire PC mod user base. Still, law is law, agreements are agreements.

OIV's team would be wise to release the source code for OIV. There's a strength in numbers.

The source code option may have been an option before the C&D. I can most definitely tell you if they did anything with that code now that would be in breach of the cease & desist.

Honestly the open source argument is a little tired, I've seen similar projects disappear overnight on GitHub for similar reasons. Maybe someone very talented at reverse engineering would have been able to continue the work, but you'd still be left with problems in distribution.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:02 PM, JClem said:

Hey guys, I'm really not sure where to put this so my apologies if it's in the wrong section, but I figured this could fall under "Current Events"...

I went to open up OpenIV and I saw this. This is the link that it took me to. Has anybody else gotten this? Really hoping it's some sort of prank or something, because I'm going to be devastated if LSPDFR comes to a halt because of this.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/889348-openiv/

image.thumb.png.497bd1aeefb802219bfe05b3da168c86.png

-JClem

Click uninstall later and you should be able to still use it. Everyone has gotten that. 

So with this going on is everyone running the latest dlc they came out with or everyone hanging onto 1032 I believe it was, or one prior to the gun running latest dlc? 

I make back ups as a habit but seeing how it goes. Is it true they changed the file format in the latest update or was this proven false?

Good thing I always archive full backups anytime I update. Should be advice habit everyone does to help self in end when failure strikes.

Edited by Azteco
Fat fingers improper words

4 hours ago, Azteco said:

So with this going on is everyone running the latest dlc they came out with or everyone hanging onto 1032 I believe it was, or one prior to the gun running latest dlc? 

I make back ups as a habit but seeing how it goes. Is it true they changed the file format in the latest update or was this proven false?

Good thing I always archive full backups anytime I update. Should be advice habit everyone does to help self in end when failure strikes.

Personally I wanted to stay far away from the recent update until this whole situation was resolved by going into "Offline Mode". It seemed to work for a few times until I kept receiving an error saying that in order to play i had to be connected to the internet.

Edited by GhostRz

Typically I stay offline all together unless it is to validate the copy of gta.

What I do is I'll validate with gta v only then yank the connection once it validates. Then hit cancel when it's not connected online when it attempts to do a update.

Granted the launcher initially  will update no way around but your bigger issue is if it updates after validating. 

Then it'll shut down after cancelling since it don't detect a connection, then start rage hook not connected to net.

I've prevented openiv from even trying to update so I'll keep the 1032 version until things work itself out. I still run older versions on couple other computers without issue. All retail copies as I avoided steam due to mostly avoiding the loop 3rd wheel issues playing offline.

They could still make 2 copies of the game one for online other for offline and using different format for online content versions and allowing complete offline version still validating. Yet they choose not to.

They see $$ with online gaming pushing all to eventually go for online hoping they get hooked. But half butt it with the games.

I haven't had chance to apply for five m or any other server yet thought about it more so since this but I'm honestly surprised they don't claim loss of revenue due to private servers utilizing their game over open iv.

Honestly the whole situation blows and stinks.

Like mentioned before someone will always fill a void. If they locked down completely they would just hang self since most of the attention comes from gamers modding playing role play which causes people to purchase the game to play offline or in role play servers. If they did go out of way and try to kill it all it would just hurt them in long run. It would also push many to come together to make a game and world of own, maybe like five m but user donated time and effort in building a world. The demand for it is higher now days over the gta v type circus online play.

I just red the bad news about OpenIV. This sucks I purchased this game only to mod. Don't get me wrong GTA5 is a fun game But once your done beating the game then what. Modding never gets boring there are so many functions you can do to keep you on your toes!

There is a couple things I would like to ask everyone.

1. If the author of GTA V and OpenIV and LSPDFR come together and develop a LSPDFR add-on would you buy it?

2. if the developers and the authors of GTA V and Rockstar Games develops vehicles and textures and scripters come together and make a individual add-on for an example say the LAPD pack it has all the uniforms it has all the vehicles and it has all the textures in one pack would you buy it?

Is there any way we can start up a petition and have numerous of votes to show the authors of GTA V and Rockstar Games to reconsider their actions.

Been checking on here and the GTA forums (as well as Alex Blade's site) every day now... The lack of progress or any new news really makes me anxious... I unfortunately updated my game and RPH, which reformatted my game backup, and then when I tried to revert to the backup, it wasn't supported by the version of RPH, so I deleted the backup. So now I'm kinda hosed because I'm not too familiar with the rollback process and I'd hate to have to reinstall it all. I'm hoping a SHV update is released seeing that it's not directly related to OpenIV..

But anyway, at this point, I'm still angry about the whole ordeal since it feels like a stab in the back, but at the same time I'm beginning to accept that perhaps this is a new era of GTA V (or GTA in general) modding.

Still hoping for the best...

Until the next bit of news,

Take care all.

Firefighter - Hilltop Hose Co. #3 - Allegheny County Sta. 168 - Natrona Heights, PA

Maybe all hope is not lost. Because if the author of GTA V sent a letter requesting the developers of openiv to stop use immediately. The key word for me I see is "request" if the developers were in trouble and actually breaking any laws they wouldn't use the word request in this letter that OpenIV developers received. What do you guys think?

34 minutes ago, ronmartinez said:

Maybe all hope is not lost. Because if the author of GTA V sent a letter requesting the developers of openiv to stop use immediately. The key word for me I see is "request" if the developers were in trouble and actually breaking any laws they wouldn't use the word request in this letter that OpenIV developers received. What do you guys think?

Not how it works. A letter "requesting" that you cease and desist is the same thing as a demand letter. In either case, the request comes with an implicit or explicit "...or else we'll sue."