Stealth22

[CALLING ALL DEVS] Police Computer Integration

@PieRGud and @fiskey111, you guys will want to read this. Same goes for all the developers, callouts or otherwise... @Albo1125, @Darkmyre, @alexguirre, @goigle, @LukeD, @FinKone, and the rest of you. (There are too many to name! @LMS and @Sam, I wouldn't mind having your input as well.)

I stumbled upon a video by FirstThirtyMinutes where he was testing out PieRGud's Computer+ plugin. I only got a few seconds into the video before I let out a 'Wow'. I then found fiskey's MDT in the downloads section, and was equally impressed. First off, before I go any further, you guys are doing some good work. A police computer has been on my list of things to do for a while...but the timeline on that list is 'sometime between now and later', which for all intents and purposes, means practically never. So I am glad that both of you were able to get something going.

Now, the reason I'm writing this...@PieRGud, I just had a brain wave when I saw that video. What if there was a way to integrate callouts into your police computer? I mean like, when you get a call, all of the details are transmitted to the computer, just like in real life. You can enter names of subjects, and attach them to the call. Dispatch would enter a synopsis of the situation, which (and this is up to the developer of the callout) may or may not be correct. Because as you all know, police officers rarely get much information (or correct information!) when going to a call.

This functionality would flow with the rest of the functions you've already built...looking up names and such. Personally, I think that you and @fiskey111 should combine your efforts into LSPDFR Computer+. Whether you guys decide to or not, is up to you. But if you combine fiskey's reporting stuff into your computer project, you could have players write reports about the calls they attended. If you go on a ridealong with a police officer, you'll notice that he or she will sit at a scene (or parked nearby) long after the situation is over. They're sitting in the cruiser, writing a report on their laptop.

Now before we get too excited, I am not sure if any of this is possible. I vaguely recall there was some discussion about LSPDFR plugins talking to one another, and @Albo1125 has successfully built an API into Traffic Policer. What if we do the same thing with LSPDFR Computer+? LMS and Sam haven't got the time (correct me if I am wrong, guys!) to build in API functions for us to get callout entities, and its likely a waste of effort. But if we could create an API for the police computer, callout devs could hook into it, and pass in all the details of the call, ped objects, etc into the police computer. The computer then displays that information, but of course, the player has to be in their vehicle in order to do any of this!! (Some departments may use portable tablets, but personally, I think it should all be restricted to the car, but that's a discussion for another time)

We would essentially be creating a real, bonafide, CAD (computer aided dispatch) system. And not the fake one that I've got in Code 3 Callouts now, which is just a popup.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Edited by Stealth22

Stealth22
LSPDFR Tester | Plugin Developer
My Plugins: Code 3 Callouts | Traffic Control | Keep Calm | ALPR+

Please do not PM me for any kind of technical support.
I unfortunately do not have enough free time to answer every PM that I get. For issues with my plugins, please post in the comments section of the file, or it's forum thread. You'll get a much quicker response from me there than if you send me a PM; I do my best to respond to every question in the comments sections. For API/programming questions, please post them in the API Development forum, so all developers can benefit from the answer as well. Thanks!

Wow, yeah... I'm all for everything you said. One thing though - @fiskey111 and me have quite different approaches. @fiskey111's approach is making an accurate simulation of police MDTs, while mine is more like an "arcade" version. So I'm not sure how we would combine our mods. That said I'd love to implement a callout details system.

Edited by PieRGud

19 minutes ago, PieRGud said:

Wow, yeah... I'm all for everything you said. One thing though - @fiskey111 and me have quite different approaches to police computer. @fiskey111's approach is making an accurate simulation of police MDTs, while mine is more like an "arcade" version. So I'm not sure how we would combine our mods. That said I'd love to implement a callout details system.

Like I said, that part is up to you guys. But for the purposes of this discussion, callout integration would probably be limited to your computer project. It would be great to have the reporting aspect too, but I don't want you to re-invent the wheel if he already has something built, that's all I am saying.

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking it's doable. The easiest way would be for you to build an API into LSPDFR Computer+. I haven't done such a thing yet, so I'm not 100% sure on how. I may be able to figure it out eventually, but @Albo1125 has already done it more than once. Albo, if you're willing to help out, I can see this getting off the ground (at a basic level) pretty quickly.

For instance, just to get started, we could re-create the functionality I've built into Code 3 Callouts, where you get a synopsis of the call, and that's it. We can build it further from there. It would be fairly simple...you'd have a button called 'Call Brief' or something similar. If a callout isn't active (there is already a function in the LSPDFR API called "IsCalloutRunning" that tells you if a callout is active), the button is disabled. If there is, then the computer checks to see if the active callout has passed it any details. If so, the button enables, and you can open the callout details form. If not, the button is still disabled. When the callout is over (i.e. when IsCalloutRunning returns false), then the details object gets cleared or set to null, and the button disables itself again.

In theory, this is actually fairly easy to get started on. The most difficult part is probably building the API, which Albo can help you out with anyway. This is something that is not that difficult to build, but has a huge impact, and opens a whole new level of immersion.

Edited by Stealth22

Stealth22

I unfortunately do not have enough free time to answer every PM that I get. For issues with my plugins, please post in the comments section of the file, or it's forum thread. You'll get a much quicker response from me there than if you send me a PM; I do my best to respond to every question in the comments sections. For API/programming questions, please post them in the API Development forum, so all developers can benefit from the answer as well. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, PieRGud said:

Wow, yeah... I'm all for everything you said. One thing though - @fiskey111 and me have quite different approaches. @fiskey111's approach is making an accurate simulation of police MDTs, while mine is more like an "arcade" version. So I'm not sure how we would combine our mods. That said I'd love to implement a callout details system.

1 minute ago, Stealth22 said:

Like I said, that part is up to you guys. But for the purposes of this discussion, callout integration would probably be limited to your computer project. It would be great to have the reporting aspect too, but I don't want you to re-invent the wheel if he already has something built, that's all I am saying.

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking it's doable. The easiest way would be for you to build an API into LSPDFR Computer+. I haven't done such a thing yet, so I'm not 100% sure on how. I may be able to figure it out eventually, but @Albo1125 has already done it more than once. Albo, if you're willing to help out, I can see this getting off the ground (at a basic level) pretty quickly.

For instance, just to get started, we could re-create the functionality I've built into Code 3 Callouts, where you get a synopsis of the call, and that's it. We can build it further from there. It would be fairly simple...you'd have a button called 'Call Brief' or something similar. If a callout isn't active (there is already a function in the LSPDFR API that tells you if a callout is active), the button is disabled. If there is, then the computer checks to see if a callout has passed it any details. If so, the button enables, and you can open the callout details form. If not, the button is still disabled. When the callout is over (i.e. when the LSPDFR API function returns false for IsCalloutActive), then the details object gets cleared or set to null.

In theory, this is actually fairly easy to get started on. The most difficult part is probably building the API, which Albo can help you out with anyway. This is something that is not that difficult to build, but has a huge impact, and opens a whole new level of immersion.

One of my end goals of the MDT was to incorporate an API into it to give devs access to the report features and to allow a custom feedback system after I saw that was possible (thanks Albo for proving that it is!).  Right now I'm mostly focusing on stability and adding a few features to it, but I like the idea!  I'm not too sure what @PieRGud plans on doing with Computer+ (I didn't even know you were working on that, otherwise I would have talked to you about it!).

I love that idea!  I think that would be absolutely amazing to have!  Let me know if you need anything from me PieRGud, I've got a decent amount of experience with Gwen now that I've run into way too many errors!

Secondary Callouts FINAL V1.0.0.0 Download

PolicingMDT Download

LS Noir -- WIP Forum Post

If your work gets stolen, consider it a complement- someone saw how great you are and wanted to be like you.

I don't have any callout plugins yet, but would love to help integrate my Custom Backup and Better EMS mods if appropriate. Are any of the Computer/MDT mods including a mechanism to call for backup from the computer? I could also do something like integrate the EMS Incident Reports with the police computer. @fiskey111 will you be exposing an API to allow adding custom reports? And if you'd like to integrate with Custom Backup, I'm going to extend the Custom Backup API to allow you to call for backup through it. 

Just want to add, I'm very proud of the scripting community here for being so helpful to each other and collaborative. I'm glad that so many plugin authors are now including APIs and using APIs from other plugins. Whereas there's constant drama in the vehicle modding community over somebody using a lightbar or whatever, the scripting modders are much more open and collaborative. And, newcomers to scripting always seem to get lots of help in the forums. Sharing is caring - keep up the good work everybody! 

[WIP | Beta] Coastal Callouts: Upcoming action-packed mod with new vehicles, maps, capabilities, and callouts in and around the waters of Los Santos

[REL] Police Tape: Make your scenes more realistic while stopping peds and traffic

[REL] Better EMS: Realistic and dynamic EMS response
[REL] Custom Backup: Bringing ultimate customization power to LSPDFR backup!

Join the Parks Benefactor Program to support my work and get early beta access!

1 minute ago, PNWParksFan said:

I don't have any callout plugins yet, but would love to help integrate my Custom Backup and Better EMS mods if appropriate. Are any of the Computer/MDT mods including a mechanism to call for backup from the computer? I could also do something like integrate the EMS Incident Reports with the police computer. @fiskey111 will you be exposing an API to allow adding custom reports? And if you'd like to integrate with Custom Backup, I'm going to extend the Custom Backup API to allow you to call for backup through it. 

Just want to add, I'm very proud of the scripting community here for being so helpful to each other and collaborative. I'm glad that so many plugin authors are now including APIs and using APIs from other plugins. Whereas there's constant drama in the vehicle modding community over somebody using a lightbar or whatever, the scripting modders are much more open and collaborative. And, newcomers to scripting always seem to get lots of help in the forums. Sharing is caring - keep up the good work everybody! 

I know Computer+ has the ability to call for backup, so I won't be including it in mine (I don't want to step on each other's toes!).

My goal was to offer an API that would check to see if the person successfully included all important aspects of the call in their report (like correct people, correct findings (drugs, speed, etc), and correct locations) to allow for a feedback system (which I'll be integrating in Non-lethal policing).  I'm not too sure how possible it would be to add custom reports, if you have an idea how that would be great!

PolicingMDT Download

If your work gets stolen, consider it a complement- someone saw how great you are and wanted to be like you.

37 minutes ago, fiskey111 said:

One of my end goals of the MDT was to incorporate an API into it to give devs access to the report features and to allow a custom feedback system after I saw that was possible (thanks Albo for proving that it is!).  Right now I'm mostly focusing on stability and adding a few features to it, but I like the idea!  I'm not too sure what @PieRGud plans on doing with Computer+ (I didn't even know you were working on that, otherwise I would have talked to you about it!).

I love that idea!  I think that would be absolutely amazing to have!  Let me know if you need anything from me PieRGud, I've got a decent amount of experience with Gwen now that I've run into way too many errors!

I didn't really think about implementing an API before but now I'm all for it! That's definitely going to be my next step with Computer+.
I'll let you know if I need any help, which is pretty likely! :P

Edited by PieRGud

10 minutes ago, fiskey111 said:

I know Computer+ has the ability to call for backup, so I won't be including it in mine (I don't want to step on each other's toes!).

My goal was to offer an API that would check to see if the person successfully included all important aspects of the call in their report (like correct people, correct findings (drugs, speed, etc), and correct locations) to allow for a feedback system (which I'll be integrating in Non-lethal policing).  I'm not too sure how possible it would be to add custom reports, if you have an idea how that would be great!

I'll have to take a closer look at how it works and think about what might be appropriate. 

Hopefully you and the Computer+ author can work together - it would be nice to have one police computer mod, so callout/plugin authors don't have to try to make their stuff compatible with two different computers. 

[WIP | Beta] Coastal Callouts: Upcoming action-packed mod with new vehicles, maps, capabilities, and callouts in and around the waters of Los Santos

[REL] Police Tape: Make your scenes more realistic while stopping peds and traffic

[REL] Better EMS: Realistic and dynamic EMS response
[REL] Custom Backup: Bringing ultimate customization power to LSPDFR backup!

Join the Parks Benefactor Program to support my work and get early beta access!

23 minutes ago, PieRGud said:

I didn't really think about implementing an API before but now I'm all for it! That's definitely going to be my next step with Computer+.
I'll definitely let you know if I need help, which is pretty likely! :P

Its really just a matter of exposing the classes and functions (i.e. make them public) that you want to offer.

However, after that, I think that you need to ensure the plugins are running in the same AppDomain, but I am not sure. That is where my knowledge starts to get cloudy on the subject. But since @Albo1125 has done it, he can definitely answer that. (Have I tagged you enough times in this thread, Albo? lol)

You could start by creating an API namespace, and create, say a public CalloutDetails class with various properties. For example, it would have a string for the callout name, another for the briefing/synopsis, a Date field for when the call was dispatched, etc. It could also have List properties for Peds, Vehicles, or even allow the officer to add notes to the call.

Then you'd have a static instance of your CalloutDetails, and set it to null. Create a function in your API namespace which accepts a CalloutDetails parameter, and set your static instance to that parameter. (EDIT - Or actually, the function would accept several parameters, one for each of the properties of CalloutDetails. Then you populate your shared instance with the properties that were passed in. That would be cleaner.)

The computer checks to see if the static CalloutDetails is null, and if it isn't, you can click the button to display the callout details.

I would start on that, and then let Albo help you on actually exposing it properly.

Edited by Stealth22

Stealth22

@Stealth22 Wouldn't it be cleaner to just pass the CalloutDetails object to the function, similar to LSPDFR's Persona? Ex: create new CalloutDetails with properties, call SetCalloutDetails passing in the created object, and the function would read all the properties (i.e. pretty much what you said before the edit).

Edited by PieRGud

49 minutes ago, PieRGud said:

@Stealth22 Wouldn't it be cleaner to just pass the CalloutDetails object to the function, similar to LSPDFR's Persona? Ex: create new CalloutDetails with properties, call SetCalloutDetails passing in the created object, and the function would read all the properties (i.e. pretty much what you said before the edit).

Either way works, really. It comes down to personal preference.

But yeah, start on your classes and functions first. Once you've got them built, we'll have a starting point to work from. At a minimum, I would have at least one class (CalloutDetails), one function for passing in details from a callout, and perhaps functions to add entities to the current active callout. For example, as a callout progresses, the developer can pass in more peds, vehicles, or add details to the notes.

The notes property could even be a List of Note objects, which would be a class/struct containing a string for the note text, and maybe a Date for when it was added.

EDIT: If you really want to get fancy (this would be like Phase 10, though), you can re-produce fiskey's report functionality, and each time a player writes a report for a callout, the details of the call, who was involved, who was arrested, etc can all get logged into a SQLite database. SQLite is file-based, and the db would be stored in the LSPDFR directory.

So say you arrest "Bob Smith" for assault, and then pull him over 3 days later, your computer pulls up the details and tells you that Bob Smith has a prior arrest for Assault. Cool, huh? :woot:

Edited by Stealth22

Stealth22

3 minutes ago, PieRGud said:

@Stealth22 Only problem with the database route: LSPDFR personas would need an overhaul. Nothing's worse than finding out Bob Smith has has had three gender transitions since the last time you arrested them.

Like I said, that would be way long term, lol. Much to do before we can get to that stage.

Start with the API classes, and we'll go from there.

Edited by Stealth22

Stealth22

@Stealth22 do you know of a way to contribute to code with another person?  Is GitHub the best way to do that, or is there another cloud-like system (like onedrive or google drive) that's best?

PolicingMDT Download

1 minute ago, fiskey111 said:

@Stealth22 do you know of a way to contribute to code with another person?  Is GitHub the best way to do that, or is there another cloud-like system (like onedrive or google drive) that's best?

GitHub for open source, or VSO (Visual Studio Online, which runs Microsoft TFS, or Team Foundation Server) for closed source.

Stealth22

I'd happily integrate Agency Callouts into any Computer-related plugin, though I'm not sure I'd use one myself (AFAIK most if not all Aussie states now give our cops tablets, so the in-car restriction doesn't make a great deal of sense for me personally, and I've built my own aus-themed records search). The "phase 10" idea is definitely something I'd be keen for, I've been trying to work out a reasonable way to store past convictions/offences using XML for a little while now. Like Fiskey said though, I don't think it'd be possible without basically recreating the persona system with more flexibility.

My YouTube Channel: Darkmyre Gaming (Australian LSPDFR patrols, plugins in development, and other games)

My Discord Server | AusGamer Network

Please do not PM me for technical support or bug reports, use the appropriate forum or plugin's comments instead.

All for this, sounds like a good idea - I'm all for having plugins communicate with each other, hence why I've added APIs to all of my major plugins.

As for creating an API - it's basically all the steps that happen before my 'using Albo1125's APIs' guide (which can be found here)

Mark any classes that other developers shouldn't use as internal (this includes the Main and EntryPoint classes). Mark any classes other developers should have access to as public (and preferably as static too). Note that you can mark individual methods/variables in that public class as internal if you want to specifically hide them.

In your project's debug properties, tick the 'generate XML file' box. Now, above all your public methods, type three Slashes (/) and type a summary of what the function and its individual parameters do. When you build, an XML file will be generated containing these summaries - when included with your DLL file as a reference, other developers can see your summaries too.

I managed to get all of the AppDomain handling covered in my guide above - this has to be done on the other developer's side, so when creating an API you have nothing to worry about except marking the suitable classes public and typing helpful summaries.

As a general rule of thumb, try to keep custom variables (enums) in your API functions' return type/parameters to an absolute minimum to minimise hassle for the other developers. Quite often, a simple bool will suffice (e.g. for my Drugs levels, I have a DrugsLevels enum with Positive&Negative, but the API function takes a bool as a parameter which is then converted to the DrugsLevels enum by the function itself).

Hope this helps, looking forward to seeing where this'll go. 

Oh, and I'd love to seeBritish Policing Script's persona/vehicle records system integrated into this central computer thing - an API is already available! :thumbsup:

Example API snippet from Traffic Policer:

public static class Functions
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// Check whether the vehicle is insured as per the insurance system.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="veh">The Vehicle whose insurance to check.</param>
        /// <returns></returns>
        public static bool IsVehicleInsured(Vehicle veh)
        {
            if (veh.Exists())
            {

Traffic_Policer.InsuranceStatus insurancestatus = VehicleInsurance.GetInsuranceStatusForVehicle(veh);
                if (insurancestatus == InsuranceStatus.Insured)
                {
                    return true;
                }
                else
                {
                    return false;
                }
            }
            else
            {
                return true;
            }
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Sets the insurance status for a vehicle. Used when vehicle is checked.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="vehicle">The Vehicle whose insurance to set</param>
        /// <param name="Insured">If true, marks the vehicle as insured. If false, marks the vehicle as uninsured.</param>
        public static void SetVehicleInsuranceStatus(Vehicle vehicle, bool Insured)
        {
            if (Insured)
            {
                VehicleInsurance.SetInsuranceStatusForVehicle(vehicle, InsuranceStatus.Insured);
            }
            else
            {
                VehicleInsurance.SetInsuranceStatusForVehicle(vehicle, InsuranceStatus.Uninsured);
            }
        }
}

Edited by Albo1125

My YouTube: Click here. 

My Discord Server - https://discord.gg/0taiZvBSiw5qGAXU

Useful post? Let me and others know by clicking the Like button.
Check out my many script modifications! 
Having issues? LSPDFR Troubleshooter by Albo1125.

Sweet, so its even easier than I thought.

Ball is in your court, @PieRGud! Let me know if you get stuck. Once your classes are done, I can give them a test with Code 3 Callouts. :thumbsup:

Stealth22

So in case you weren't aware, we will be combining PolicingMDT with LSPDFR Computer+ to form one Super CAD!! (I'm assuming it'll still be called LSPDFR Computer+ though and not SuperComputer+ :sad:)

Thanks @Albo1125 for the help with the API!  I'm excited to see what we can do with it, and I'm also glad it's that easy to implement!

We'll be sure to keep you all updated and will be asking you all for help!  If you'd like in on this project, I personally don't mind - I'm not too sure about @PieRGud's opinion though!

Thanks everyone!

PolicingMDT Download

It looks like a big project. Don't you guys think it would be reasonably to prepare some kind of specification? I think about 2 important things: 1) what we want to achieve, 2) what kind of data needs to be exchanged and how. For example:

Functional specification:

• Ability to get a new incident number from CAD (int GetNewUniqueID()) //also as LAPD roleplay thingy!
  • Ability to add a new callout data to the queue when a callout is displayed by LSPDFR (AddNewCall(int ID, CalloutData callout))
  • Ability to change callout status to ENR when player accepts the callout. (ChangeCallStatus(int ID, ECallStatus status))
  • etc.

CalloutData specification:

• string FullName, AbbrevName, Description,
  • string Adress,
  • DateTime Received, Dispatched, Code4,
  • EResponseType respType (Code 2, 3),
  • ECallStatus status,
  • etc.

Yeah, I'll be adding a bit of that sort of stuff to the Git project. 

Stealth22

Just an update - we currently have successfully combined the two modifications together.  Within Computer+ lies a reports area where the reports can be written and PoliceNotebook is a tool that will be packaged with the plugin.

I'm not sure on the API as I've been focusing on getting the two plugins to be fluid and fairly consistent (across text, sizes, etc).  I just wanted to let you know that we've got a functioning and stable single plugin!

Also, @AlconH will be assisting us with creating/maintaining a dedicated server to host the data from the MDT that will update in real time.  This project won't start for a few weeks, but I want to include that in the update as well!

Edited by fiskey111

PolicingMDT Download