Gr1mR33fer

Conversion

I am building a Map using the Google Maps API. I need to convert GTA IV / SCripthook X,Y to Google Maps Lng,Lat. I suck at math and this is just getting frustrating, does anyone know how to do this or that is really good with math? lol I need an equation to use

I have gone in game and matched up some random coord, they are below...

Where CONVERT TO is I need an equation there...It can be a differnet one for X and Y if needed.

GTA                                            GOOGLE

Location 1

X: 2333.487  ==> CONVERT TO ==> 82.846545

Y: 416.7385   ==> CONVERT TO ==>  -131.6271972

Location 2

X: 1229.228  ==> CONVERT TO ==> 83.0912764

Y: 610.1171  ==> CONVERT TO ==>  -142.514648

Location 3

X: 36.9755 ==> CONVERT TO ==> 82.4991273

Y: 133.485==> CONVERT TO ==>  -154.4458

Your Google coordinates cannot possibly be correct. Latitude cannot be outside [-90, 90]; any system in which a latitude is outside that range does not qualify for the term "latitude", and is not a model of a sphere.

To add to that, to find a function that produces a known result from a known dataset using an unknown algorithm/function, you can use polynomial fitting.

Please do not PM me unless really necessary (knowing you helps). If you think you need my attention in a topic, tag me.

Polynomial fitting needs more data points - whatever degree polynomial turns out to match the data, you want at least two more points. This is because there is *always* a degree-n polynomial fitting any n+1 points; the fact that it does so doesn't mean anything about fitting the rest of the data. 3 points works if it's linear (normally a decent assumption, but you still want to check), but these 3 points aren't linear. You could fit a quadratic to them, but that means nothing - there's no reason to suspect it'd have anything to do with any other points.

Your Google coordinates cannot possibly be correct. Latitude cannot be outside [-90, 90]; any system in which a latitude is outside that range does not qualify for the term "latitude", and is not a model of a sphere.

Not sure what you mean by they are not correct, I am getting them from the Google Maps API. I will send you a link to it so you can sse for yourself.

Based on the link, you mixed up latitude and longitude. The equations are:

Lat = 82.33224782018947 + 0.0012411918012966094 Y

Long = -154.78609580837022 + 0.009937143825312363 X

These numbers have ludicrous precision; you could probably lop off a number of digits and it'd be more accurately reflecting the precision of the input, but I don't feel like working out what precision they should have.