Introducing LSPDFR.

Check out www.lspdfr.com for a first look at the sequel to LCPDFR.

Bandicam vs Fraps

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I am thinking about starting a "Let's Play" of GTA IV and I was wondering which is easiest to use bandicam or fraps. I have downloaded both, and cannot get fraps to work, but bandicam seems pretty strait forward. My question is Which one do you think is easiest to use?  Also if someone could post a step by stem tutorial on how to use fraps, like getting it launched and everything. I looked on youtube and I found a video that wasn't very helpful. 

Thanks! 

-Him1250

Posted (edited)

I use Fraps. But i bought it.  Fraps works very good for me. But remember the better quality you want to record with the more space you need. 30 seconds with 60 fps 30 fps would end up around 1,5 or so gigabytes. So i recommend a big harddrive. And also get a videoediting program so you can compress the videofile. :-)

Edited by St.Kizza

Posted (edited)

I would use Bandicam if I were you, when I used Fraps it was very low quality, but now I use Bandicam and it looks HD.

Edited by Grant Matos

Posted

I went with bandicam. 

DarthWound likes this

Posted

BANDICAM, BANDICAM, BANDICAM. Files are smaller, better quality, and easier to use. 

Posted

I used to use Fraps, but Bandicam seems like the better product to me.

Posted

Bandicam. Fraps dont work for me either

Posted

I use Bandicam. It has better quality, smaller file size, and works better with my computer than Fraps.

Posted (edited)

I use fraps.

I use Fraps. But i bought it.  Fraps works very good for me. But remember the better quality you want to record with the more space you need. 30 seconds with 60 fps would end up around 1,5 or so gigabytes. So i recommend a big harddrive. And also get a videoediting program so you can compress the videofile. :-)

Would me having a small hard drive result in the recording being cut off like after 30 seconds?

Edited by InnermostZero

Posted

FRAPS. If you want to look professional at all use FRAPS.

Posted (edited)

Would me having a small hard drive result in the recording being cut off like after 30 seconds?

Did you buy it and activate it? Fraps's free version cut off is 30 seconds, whereas Bandicam's is 10 minutes.

I use Bandicam. The files are much much smaller. I used the Fraps free version and 30 seconds of video took up as much space as 5 minutes on Bandicam at the same quality (might be exaggerated a bit, but the Fraps file size was rather large for only 30 seconds).

Edit:

What do you mean professional? They record the screen the same way, so how does Fraps make it look professional?

Edited by willpv23
DarthWound likes this

Posted

Did you buy it and activate it? Fraps's free version cut off is 30 seconds, whereas Bandicam's is 10 minutes.

I use Bandicam. The files are much much smaller. I used the Fraps free version and 30 seconds of video took up as much space as 5 minutes on Bandicam at the same quality (might be exaggerated a bit, but the Fraps file size was rather large for only 30 seconds).

As far as I know Id o, the only thing I dislike about bandicam is the '' www.badicam.com '' on the middle of the screen.

Posted (edited)

I don't see why it'll make you more pro than Bandicam.

Just because it was one of the first game recorder and because all COD 12yr old players have Fraps ?

edit : if I sound rude, sorry, that's not my goal.

As will said, the final product is a video with HD quality, not too big file size. But you may need to know how to tweak the presets.

---

About watermark "www.bandicam.com" on top and time limitation, just buy it, or use Dxtory which is free and not too bad.

Edited by DarthWound

Posted (edited)

I'm uploading a video now comparing the two (same video recorded with both Bandicam (paid for version) and Fraps (free version)). Both set to full screen, recording at 30 FPS for the same amount of time. Bandicam file is 220 MB, Fraps file is 943 MB. I'll post it here when it's done.

Edit: Actually the Bandicam file is 6 seconds longer (it ran for 35 seconds, Fraps cut off at 29 seconds). I edited the video so they are closer to the same length, though.

Edit 2: Here's the video, just refresh in about 10-15 minutes. I have to leave, so I can't wait for it to finish uploading Finished faster than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukOQv5goZuI&feature=youtu.be

Edited by willpv23

Posted (edited)

Do people even know why FRAPS lags computers? It writing 1080p (or whatever res) screenshots COMPLETELY UNCOMPRESSED at 30 per second. You will not, no matter what, achieve better picture quality then when you use FRAPS. People often don't see a difference because they render their videos with shit settings. FRAPS is physically better then Bandicam, because it actually records the game it self, not a compressed copy. This is also why the files are so large. Just put them in an editor and render them WITH GOOD SETTINGS. That, my friend, is how you look professional. When you can full-screen 1080p and have no artifacts, stalled pixels, or vertical desync.

I use fraps.

This is because you don't have the paid version.

I use Fraps. But i bought it.  Fraps works very good for me. But remember the better quality you want to record with the more space you need. 30 seconds with 60 fps would end up around 1,5 or so gigabytes. So i recommend a big harddrive. And also get a videoediting program so you can compress the videofile. :-)

Something is wrong there because I can record 1800 seconds and end up with 32Gb of space used, not 90Gb. I also have a FRAPS exclusive hard drive.

All in all, FRAPS is absolutely better quality. You can not argue with it. If you are experiencing better quality using Bandicam, you are rendering incorrectly.

Sorry if this post was bitchy but I wanted to get the information out.

Edited by hlsavior
FCV96 likes this

Posted

lol, and as I said if you tune Bandicam presets correctly you'll have a pro rendering as well.

And don't worry, I know how to use an editor too.

Well, it sounds a bit like fanboyism (unfortunately, a bit arrogant too), but you have your opinion, I respect that.

But, anyway, if you really want to look pro, Fraps is a childish toy beside specialized acquisition and capture hardware tools.

Just to mention that I'm not a Bandicam fanboy, I used Fraps since ~10 years ago and I liked it, really, but since approx a year I switched on Bandicam and I don't regret at all.

I really don't care what people use, but when someone is saying something like "you don't look like a pro with Bandicam", I always feel like this ^^

CopForHire likes this

Posted

Try out both see which ones you like that's what I'm doing.. I've been using bandicam and it's okay but I've heard of some FPS loss with bandicam but not sure how true that is. I think both are great but you really need to try em out for yourself instead of getting others opinions because that's just how products work lol.

I also use movie maker from Microsoft to edit and turn the videos into movies. heres the link to movie maker if you don't know yet http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker#t1=overview

Good luck !

Posted (edited)

Both the Bandicam and Fraps video were put in Windows Live Movie Maker (easy to use for new video editor like myself, free, and comes installed with Windows) then saved as 1080p.

Edit: The only difference I notice is that the Bandicam video shows more lag than the Fraps video, which shouldn't be a problem if your game is running higher than 30 FPS while recording (mine was about 20). I don't know which was more resource intensive while I recorded that because I was just recording the same thing with both programs at the same time.

Bandicam recording settings:

91kikk.png

Fraps recording settings:

6yjmzc.png

Edited by willpv23

Posted

lol, and as I said if you tune Bandicam presets correctly you'll have a pro rendering as well.

And don't worry, I know how to use an editor too.

Well, it sounds a bit like fanboyism (unfortunately, a bit arrogant too), but you have your opinion, I respect that.

But, anyway, if you really want to look pro, Fraps is a childish toy beside specialized acquisition and capture hardware tools.

Just to mention that I'm not a Bandicam fanboy, I used Fraps since ~10 years ago and I liked it, really, but since approx a year I switched on Bandicam and I don't regret at all.

I really don't care what people use, but when someone is saying something like "you don't look like a pro with Bandicam", I always feel like this ^^

I'm not a FRAPS fanboy, And i don't know how talking about tech makes me seem like one, if anything it seems like the opposite. Anyway tuning Bandicam doesn't effect rendering what so ever. I've used bandicam before, and even have proof of it. I'm know that FRAPS is better. Clearly we'll never convince each other otherwise but at least other users are getting information from this.

Posted

Damn this post has just blown up! I went with bandicam. I have 2 LCPDFR Videos recorded and are currently being uploaded to youtube. 

Posted

Nah, not blown up. Just an actual serious argument about something that actually isn't just people making stuff up.

Posted

I know I've mentioned it before in the forums somewhere but I think it's worth mentioning again.  I use a product called Action! http://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html and believe it well worth the $30.  The files are huge but once exported from the recorder they are reduce alot.  After taking them into an editor the size drops even more.  You can see examples of a straight export from the recorder in the media section and look for ride along with jake and jj.  The first 5 videos are straight exports of 1080i and the last one went through the editor to see how much quality is lost.

Posted

Do people even know why FRAPS lags computers? It writing 1080p (or whatever res) screenshots COMPLETELY UNCOMPRESSED at 30 per second. You will not, no matter what, achieve better picture quality then when you use FRAPS. People often don't see a difference because they render their videos with shit settings. FRAPS is physically better then Bandicam, because it actually records the game it self, not a compressed copy. This is also why the files are so large. Just put them in an editor and render them WITH GOOD SETTINGS. That, my friend, is how you look professional. When you can full-screen 1080p and have no artifacts, stalled pixels, or vertical desync.

I am going throw in an outside opinion that i hope cuts down to the nitty gritty.  I don't use either of these programs but i did consider them and researched a little bit about them long ago.

I think everyone got a chance to make their point.  But maybe we need to generalize it or bring it down a level.   From what i've seen of LCPDFR,  it is a fantastic mod and it doesn't just bring in the hardcore gamers or power gamers who simply know their stuff.   I read about those young and older who were amazed to find a way to play as a LEO in a game.  And they can indulge in being as realistic or just a plain fun playstyle.   And i see posts from people who dont do PC gaming and are mainly console players or those who dont really play games at all but they have an older pc or laptop(i can't imagine playing on one,,  good on you all for dealing with it).

And from a technical implementation as i understand it,  you are right hlsavior.   Fraps will crank things out to the max.

But to keep it simple,  i'm gonna use the sports car analogy.    Using fraps is like driving your Lamborghini Aventador to work with a 60mph speed limit.   Is it really worthwhile draining your money for fuel on this task.  You may be in a situation that doesn't warrant it,  by which i mean your system specs or what resolution you are playing. So the individual user will have to figure it out on their own.

So looking at this discussion from a technical standpoint,  hlsavior makes his point and suggestion on fraps.  And if you know your gaming stuff or you just know you have a killer gaming rig,  crank it up.

From a practical standpoint for the average,  new pc gamer,  alternatives may be more beneficial to test.  (a lot of us are affected by the fact GTA IV is unoptimized POS and has been talked to death forever.)

Posted

I am going throw in an outside opinion that i hope cuts down to the nitty gritty.  I don't use either of these programs but i did consider them and researched a little bit about them long ago.

I think everyone got a chance to make their point.  But maybe we need to generalize it or bring it down a level.   From what i've seen of LCPDFR,  it is a fantastic mod and it doesn't just bring in the hardcore gamers or power gamers who simply know their stuff.   I read about those young and older who were amazed to find a way to play as a LEO in a game.  And they can indulge in being as realistic or just a plain fun playstyle.   And i see posts from people who dont do PC gaming and are mainly console players or those who dont really play games at all but they have an older pc or laptop(i can't imagine playing on one,,  good on you all for dealing with it).

And from a technical implementation as i understand it,  you are right hlsavior.   Fraps will crank things out to the max.

But to keep it simple,  i'm gonna use the sports car analogy.    Using fraps is like driving your Lamborghini Aventador to work with a 60mph speed limit.   Is it really worthwhile draining your money for fuel on this task.  You may be in a situation that doesn't warrant it,  by which i mean your system specs or what resolution you are playing. So the individual user will have to figure it out on their own.

So looking at this discussion from a technical standpoint,  hlsavior makes his point and suggestion on fraps.  And if you know your gaming stuff or you just know you have a killer gaming rig,  crank it up.

From a practical standpoint for the average,  new pc gamer,  alternatives may be more beneficial to test.  (a lot of us are affected by the fact GTA IV is unoptimized POS and has been talked to death forever.)

I like you.

Great analogy.

Posted

I went with bandicam as stated earlier. Now lets not thread highjack lol