badass22

What do you think about Sheriff Joe Arpaio?

16 posts in this topic

I heard about a man who was nicknamed "the toughest sheriff of America". His name is Joseph Michael Arpaio, sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona, until January 2017. Many people say he was pushed too hard on criminals, inprisoning them in a place known as Tent City, in the Arizona desert, where the inmates complained about the very harsh conditions of living with a very hot climate (over 50ºC). But there's also who supports what the sheriff did.

I just know he's of Italian descent. His parents were from the Salerno province, southern Italy, near where I live.

What do you think about him?

Edited by badass22

6 minutes ago, Riley24 said:

One of the most despicable law enforcement officials in the country.

lol cops across the country are despicable, joe has respect for the constitution while most law enforcement agencies within the united states do not

An utter disgrace to Arizona and law enforcement in the United States. So glad he was finally beat.

The law calls for rehabilitation and not punitive imprisonment. Something the Former Sheriff couldn't care less about (as long as his poll numbers were good).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/arizonas-tent-city-jail-where-prisoners-wear-pink-underwear-eat-meatless-meals-and-swelter-in-the-120-degree-heat/article/2546924

Edited by thegreathah
sick puppy likes this

but yet its ok for a cop to beat a woman on the side of the road....logic

Edited by The Knight

4 hours ago, Yard1 said:

He is not a Sheriff anymore, he was defeated in recent elections.

In fact, I said "until January 2017".

2 hours ago, The Knight said:

but yet it's not.

Guess he has his own way of doing things. I haven't read up on him, so I don't know what's so horrible about him. His ways do seem a bit more on the publicity side, though. That whole tent thing seems stupid to me. I don't think "humiliation" is much of a deterrent to inmates.

2 hours ago, The Knight said:

No one said that. I suggest you stay on topic - this is about former Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

7 hours ago, The Knight said:

other cops doing bad shit doesn't excuse sheriff joe being an egotistic racist excuse for a sheriff. That's like saying that because someone took a shit in the urinal, it's okay to piss all over every toilet seat.

thegreathah likes this

11 hours ago, thegreathah said:

An utter disgrace to Arizona and law enforcement in the United States. So glad he was finally beat.

The law calls for rehabilitation and not punitive imprisonment. Something the Former Sheriff couldn't care less about (as long as his poll numbers were good).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/arizonas-tent-city-jail-where-prisoners-wear-pink-underwear-eat-meatless-meals-and-swelter-in-the-120-degree-heat/article/2546924

And this is why Law Enforcement 'Positions' should never be decided upon by Electioneering.

@PhillBellic As far as I know, sheriffs are elected by the citizens because it's a typical tradition in the United States, since 1776.

So I guess you want the federal government to make a reform.

Edited by badass22

11 hours ago, badass22 said:

In fact, I said "until January 2017".

Sorry, didn't notice that.

To me this is a tough topic. On the one hand, I realise his actions were at least aimed at getting votes (and selling merchandise!) not fighting crime. On the other, he was tough on those who are tough on other (and this reminds me of Officer Tenpenny, which is probably not good).

Overall, I hardly can decide, considering he was a cop in a very strange country with very strange laws ("strange" like "unfamiliar to me"). I guess that in my country a lot of officers and management might share his thoughts on crime-fighting, but I'm sure that no one here would publicly say it.