Jump to content
Hullian111

How to avoid sending too many requests?

Recommended Posts

When I'm searching on the Vanilla Vehicles Database, the Non-ELS threads for GTA IV, and some pages entirely, the site, after some scrolling (this applies to collection threads), the website decides that I have sent too many requests, and drops excess requests, those of which I am wanting to see. This makes browsing in such threads hard, and when it comes to the page going down over excess requests, makes the site in itself hard to browse. How do I negotiate through this problem on the site? Or is it beyond the admins' abilities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid opening too many tabs I've found. If I understood it correctly, this is a temporary solution to counteract DDOS attacks and load balancing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this happens to me sometimes when browsing mods (in a single tab).  For instance, if you are reviewing a texture pack where the author included 10+ vehicles in the description.  That's when I get that message because they all try to load at once and there's nothing really you can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ineseri said:

Avoid opening too many tabs I've found. If I understood it correctly, this is a temporary solution to counteract DDOS attacks and load balancing. 

I only have one tab open sometimes, and the error still happens. I'm just asking this because I think it'd make things better for everyone.

But in terms for DDOS protection, for this site, this is not really the best way. Is an option like Cloudflare available? Or is the site too complicated for the system to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hullian111 said:

I only have one tab open sometimes, and the error still happens. I'm just asking this because I think it'd make things better for everyone.

But in terms for DDOS protection, for this site, this is not really the best way. Is an option like Cloudflare available? Or is the site too complicated for the system to work?

I can't comment on how our internal security works, Cyan will have to comment on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2016 at 1:43 PM, Hullian111 said:

When I'm searching on the Vanilla Vehicles Database, the Non-ELS threads for GTA IV, and some pages entirely, the site, after some scrolling (this applies to collection threads), the website decides that I have sent too many requests, and drops excess requests, those of which I am wanting to see. This makes browsing in such threads hard, and when it comes to the page going down over excess requests, makes the site in itself hard to browse. How do I negotiate through this problem on the site? Or is it beyond the admins' abilities?

I'm unsure why you'd include the diatribe at the end -- I can let you know that I've been aware of this issue for some time (there has already been a thread aboout it), and the reason it is not fixed is limited manpower and time. There is no plan/time in the near future to resolve this bug. I know exactly what needs to be rewritten in order for it to work correctly (we need to lazyload all embed links on pages that have a large amount of them).

7 hours ago, Hullian111 said:

I only have one tab open sometimes, and the error still happens. I'm just asking this because I think it'd make things better for everyone.

But in terms for DDOS protection, for this site, this is not really the best way. Is an option like Cloudflare available? Or is the site too complicated for the system to work?

I'm not going to comment on our infrastructure/security systems or how they work, but I can say CloudFlare doesn't work for any site that has a very large bandwidth requirement like ours and is not willing to pay +$2,000 on an Enterprise plan.

AlconH likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×