Animefan162a

Requesting a couple of clean templates.

Ugh, I feel really ungrateful asking this but but I haven't been able to find these anywhere. Could someone provide me with clean (not rainbow colours and millions of lines but clear, white and ready to be used) texture templates for the 2013-2015 Ford Taurus and 2006/2013-15 Dodge Charger? I have a few particular vehicle models I would like to start developing liveries for and I would really, REALLY sincerely appreciate templates that would work for them.

I hope I don't sound too selfish and I thank you for reading.

Edited by Animefan162a

Easy way to get a black-and-white template out of a colour one: Grayscale the colour one, add a layer of 50% grey on colour dodge, duplicate the grey layer as necessary.

2016-08-29_18-49-20.png

That said, generally speaking it's easier to tell what bits and bobs of a gradiented template are where on the model without having to look at the model; a lot of modellers tend to use a locator gradient (I never learned the proper term) for this very reason.

Edited by EvilJackCarver
Animefan162a likes this

7 minutes ago, EvilJackCarver said:

Easy way to get a black-and-white template out of a colour one: Grayscale the colour one, add a layer of 50% grey on colour dodge, duplicate the grey layer as necessary.

2016-08-29_18-49-20.png

That said, generally speaking it's easier to tell what bits and bobs of a gradiented template are where on the model without having to look at the model; a lot of modellers tend to use a locator gradient (I never learned the proper term) for this very reason.

Thank you for the advice, but what about editing out all the model lines that way the template can be used for a texture/livery? Also the template I have for the 2013-15 Taurus actually doesn't work with it >_>

26 minutes ago, Animefan162a said:

Thank you for the advice, but what about editing out all the model lines that way the template can be used for a texture/livery?

It already can.

Quick question - this your first time skinning? (There's no wrong answer to this question, it's just if you're asking what I think you're asking, you're about to fall into a rookie mistake)

3 minutes ago, EvilJackCarver said:

It already can.

Quick question - this your first time skinning? (There's no wrong answer to this question, it's just if you're asking what I think you're asking, you're about to fall into a rookie mistake)

Not first time skinner, no but definitely new. All of my previous experience has been editing already existing textures or going from a clean and ready to use template (as in colour, add decals and export to vehicle txd).

Okay yeah, that's a bit of a mistake. The templates should be used as basis for positioning of your livery's elements, not as a basis for your livery itself. Erasing the lines in a template is a bad idea because:

• You could easily miss part of the poly grid and have a line in your livery
  • The poly grid is imprecise by nature, and thus you could have outlines on your livery
  • Destroying a template means you no longer have that template.

What you should do instead, is make a new layer and use that as your base colour, leaving it hidden while you're working on the elements of your skin - i.e. positioning - and unhiding it when you're done working with it. All that whitespace on the templates are just that - whitespace. With 99 out of 100 templates, I could have a black base colour, but hot-pink whitespace and the hot pink wouldn't show up at all.

Edited by EvilJackCarver

Ah yeah, I guess I've been making a rookie mistake then. But I have no idea how to make a livery without using the texture template itself >_>

Layers, they are your friend.

What graphics editor are you using? If you're using one that doesn't support layers, it may be a good idea to look at some that do. The screenshot above was taken with PaintDotNet, which is like a Poor Man's Photoshop. Free and it'll get where you need to go, but it won't do much of anything fancy.

Edited by EvilJackCarver
elaborate "poor man's photoshop"

I use photoshop and know a little bit about layers, but I don't know how to really make a livery using layers alone. I've always had a full whited out template that I've coloured and put decals on. Is there a way to recreate the base template in all white/no lines and then make the livery from there?

Also since the template I have doesn't even fit the Taurus I'm using, is there a way to go to the 3D model and "pull" a template off of it and export it?

Edited by Animefan162a

It's possible, but tedious. What you could do is use a white layer (hidden until you go to test), and have another layer you colour on. It's what I (and probably a good majority here) have done. To show off an example (which is a texture I edited for personal use to make an in-joke)...

awoo_enforcement.psd_@_20%_(sign_1,_RGB8)__2016-08-29_21-50-52.png

That's how I worked on it - sign_1 is the base paint layer (and the base template that I started using), Layer 1 is the cover-up colours you see by the mirrors. I worked on it with the template visible, and when the time came to export it as .PNG, I ticked the base paint colour (or, in this case, sign_1) to be visible and went from there.

This isn't to say that there aren't other ways of doing things - whiting out the template and colouring inside the lines is a perfectly valid way, albeit one that might earn you some funny looks - but a lot of people do it this way for a reason, so that you still have the (imprecise) template polys to line everything up on.

Also, a lot of UV mapping - especially in GTA IV on the older Chargers - is imprecise. What I mean by that is, as you get close to the dividing line between two panels on the livery - say, the side view and the back bumper - one of them inevitably starts distorting, and won't exactly be true to the poly grid shown on the template. You also have to account for the outline that's there around the entire outside of the vehicle that you can't see - it may or may not be mapped. In a lot of the older cases (gonna pick on one of the old HSD Chargers here) it IS mapped, so you have a pixel more than you can see on the black-outline template.

Edited by EvilJackCarver
Animefan162a likes this

Oh, I see. Crap lol, that might be very tedious indeed as I prefer American black-white-black paintjobs. But what about pulling a template from a model, can that be done?

Sure it is, you just gotta know who made the model. If you know what vehicle you're looking to make a template for, 95% of the time you can usually find a template for them in a model for download.

Spoiler

Useless elaboration on the previous paragraph, and to make an example, there's two main Crown Vics in circulation - the older one made as a dev vehicle by BxBugz, and the one converted from DSF for IV by F5544. The templates aren't interchangeable; the parts (bonnet, nosecone, etc) are in the same general area but if you try to put a Bugz template on a F5544 Vic, it won't line up properly.

Most of the developers will say which vehicle it is in the credits - you're looking for, in the case of the Crown Vic example, "Vehicle converted for IV by F5544" or "Crown Vic by BxBugz".

I'm looking at the templates right here and ironically the author provided a template for every vehicle in the pack except the 2013 Taurus, just my luck. I guess I'll message them and ask. Thanks a bunch for your help, I appreciate it!

EvilJackCarver likes this

3 hours ago, Animefan162a said:

I'm looking at the templates right here and ironically the author provided a template for every vehicle in the pack except the 2013 Taurus, just my luck. I guess I'll message them and ask. Thanks a bunch for your help, I appreciate it!

I found this on Google, hope it is the right one and is of use to you 😆😆 it has both the 2011 & 2013 Taurus templates 

http://gtapolicemods.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=70

Animefan162a likes this

As it turns out, that's the exact template pack I was trying to use that doesn't work with the Taurus, lol. Thank you for the attempt though, I appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Animefan162a said:

As it turns out, that's the exact template pack I was trying to use that doesn't work with the Taurus, lol. Thank you for the attempt though, I appreciate it.

No problem, if I can find a template for you ill let you know here :)

52 minutes ago, CHR1570PH3R said:

No problem, if I can find a template for you ill let you know here :)

Thanks, also @EvilJackCarver I asked the creator of the Taurus to release the template which they did kindly do.

Edited by Animefan162a