Sign in to follow this  
ZombLee

Police Precinct Business Sim...What?

Hey guys. So among my many gaming genres of choice, there's one in particular that has been hard to satisfy. Business simulation. I'm not sure why. There's all sorts of amazing games where a business simulation is already within the game, and of course, many tycoon games, some of which are actually good. For me personally, I really enjoy the business sims where you can just dive in and really be an active part in earning for your business, and where your actions directly affect your bottom line and your resources and abilities in game.

There's even fewer of these sorts of games. And most of them always involve a simulation element (of which I'm NOT complaining!) Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Farming Simulator 2015 are the shining examples here. In ETS 2 You own a trucking company in game. You ultimately end up hiring drivers to work for you, but the entire core of the game is built around you and your actions. While the CEO and ultimate decision maker, you are still also down on the front lines with the rest of your workers.  I don't know why it's so satisfying, but it is. Other than this, I don't know of many games that allow this. I'm sure there's countless ones. But for some reason, I've been adding in my own business element to almost every game I play. SpinTires, for example, is a simulation of the off-road logging conditions of Northern Asia/Siberia. Heavy transport trucks struggle to bring lumber to processing mills. While the setting is there, ultimately this game contains no business simulation element, but there is a rule system to add a sort of "economy" mode, simulating the player being the owner of a transport business in this hostile environment. It's like pencil and paper tabletop mixed with PC gaming and it satisfies the business sim elements I crave. 

Lately I've been considering doing the same thing to LSPDFR, and adding a rule set that will tack on a business simulation aspect, so to speak. I was thinking of a sort of system wherein the player would be in charge of a police precinct in a sort of meta-game that will affect the player's resources in-game while using the LSPDFR mod. Unfortunately, this would all be pencil and paper, and rely a lot on a sort of RP/Honor System.

But, if you're wondering why in the hell a person would think a police department is a business, we need to remember that historically, police departments developed from privatized groups hired by townships to provide security. Basically, mercenary soldiers were paid a salary by villagers to protect their settlements. Obviously in today's modern era, police departments are funded by and considered to be, the same entity as the municipality they protect, but let's just say Los Santos, and San Andreas as a whole is the sort of messed up place I can imagine hiring out a privatized police force. You are in charge of a precinct in said police force.

As the player you get a starting budget of some sort, likely in the millions of dollars. Your first priority to would picking out which police station you'd like to take over and purchase it. (I'd like to make bigger stations cost more money, but I don't know how they'd benefit the player. Perhaps more staff/vehicle capacity? Stations in high-risk violent crime areas like the projects containing Grove Street could cost less because they come with nearly a 100% guarantee that someone will be shot)

Once the player has purchased their station, they'd have to face the same day to day challenges real police departments face, including all the expenses.

+Facility Upkeep/Rent

+Staff Training, Salary, and Medical Fees

+Vehicle Fleet Expenses (New Purchases/maintenance)

+Property Damage Fees

+Legal Fees

And revenue could be generated just as real life departments generate theirs.

+Citations

+Vehicle Impounds/Seizures

+Drug Money Intercepts/Seizures

+Seized Property Auctions

+Government Grants* 

*Perhaps make a system where the player must meet a certain arrest criteria, citation or impound quota, anything to prove the player's precinct performance is worth the investment.

The game would be as simple as playing the LSPDFR mod as it is now, except that the player would have to be sure to write down and log key information and follow an honor system. How the business aspect would integrate into the game would largely depend on the events within the player's GTA V and LSPDFR. Here's an example.

I buy a police station in, say, Vinewood. Perhaps it's a moderately expensive police station because Vinewood is relatively less risky to police. Rent is higher than the stations over in the projects where it's assured my men will sustain casualties. 

I have enough money left to hire a patrol force of let's just throw any number out, say 20 officers. (We can find more accurate real life numbers thanks to google, including cost estimations. There could be some requirements in place like a certain amount of ranks, IE we MUST have at least 1 Chief, X number of Sergeants, ect, each costing a certain amount of money  to "train" [their equipment and guns ect is assumed to be included here]. Special units like K9's cost more, ect)

I have enough money to buy 20 police vehicles, but not enough to afford a helicopter. Because of this, while in game, I cannot call for helicopter backup. If one is in the area, it's assumed to be from another precinct. 

I decide to control Patrol Officer # 1. During his patrol he writes a parking ticket, earning the precinct +$50 (According to Google, LA's average parking ticket costs $50) 

He arrests a drunk driver. The man was cooperative so he does not cause damage, nor does he rack up many charges, netting a relatively low bail +$???? earned (Google again can help us find average numbers. The more charges you can add to an arrestee, the higher their bail, and consequently, their earnings for the precinct. Arresting high risk people is very profitable)

Later Officer #1 gets into a pursuit. His car is damaged, but he arrests the suspect. +$??? for suspect bail, +$??? for vehicle seizure. -$ for police car damage

Unfortunately, later, Officer #1 gets into a shootout and is killed. -$ for health insurance fees and payouts to family, ect. We now only have 19 officers, and if we want more we must pay to have another patrolman trained. 

This is just a rough draft to see if anyone else would be interested in something like this. Hiring a staff of officers would serve no purpose that I could think of, save adding to the challenge of having to fund them. Perhaps the amount of policemen the player has hired at his precinct could directly affect his earnings as well as expenses. Perhaps when the player ends their patrol and tallies their earnings, it's multiplied by the number of active officers they have.

There's a lot of bugs and ifs and maybes to work out. Perhaps things that would require lots of chance, say for example, whether or not a car you searched that contained drugs would also have tons of drug money in it. Something like a dice roller with some modifiers in place could solve the issue of random chance, just like in any tabletop rpg. There's a lot of possibilities and solutions to most roadblocks.

Of course, not ever faucet of police procedure could be accounted for, nor should it, I would guess, if you'd want any sort of enjoyment out of it. Obviously lots of things would have to be simplified and not subjected to the odd circumstances and exceptions of real life. 

What do you guys think?

Edited by Hero540

2 minutes ago, Lundy said:

You'd have to rely on other people to do something like this. The LSPDFR devs are nowhere interested in making LSPDFR a full on roleplay simulator.

Lundy, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about NOT intending for them to develop anything like this. I was going to make a ruleset myself, and share with others if anyone at all was interested. It would purely be a pencil and paper deal, to be managed by the player themselves completely outside of the LSPDFR modifcation. I was going to attempt to do the research required myself with help from others if anyone wanted to help, but only if it generated a sizeable amount of interest from the community...otherwise I won't bother with sinking that kind of time.

But again, not a suggestion for devs or mod developers or anything, just discussing an idea for a paper and pencil ruleset I had.  

17 minutes ago, Hero540 said:

Lundy, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about NOT intending for them to develop anything like this. I was going to make a ruleset myself, and share with others if anyone at all was interested. It would purely be a pencil and paper deal, to be managed by the player themselves completely outside of the LSPDFR modifcation. I was going to attempt to do the research required myself with help from others if anyone wanted to help, but only if it generated a sizeable amount of interest from the community...otherwise I won't bother with sinking that kind of time.

But again, not a suggestion for devs or mod developers or anything, just discussing an idea for a paper and pencil ruleset I had.  

Ah, got it.

Have you heard of a game in development called 'This Is The Police'? It's basically most of what you described - you play as a police chief with six months of his career left before retirement, you control deployment of officers, handle public relations etc. and you have a choice to be corrupt and get bribe money. You might like that.

ZombLee likes this

1 hour ago, wilfordbrimleysmoustache said:

Have you heard of a game in development called 'This Is The Police'? It's basically most of what you described - you play as a police chief with six months of his career left before retirement, you control deployment of officers, handle public relations etc. and you have a choice to be corrupt and get bribe money. You might like that.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this game, and I'm sad I almost missed out on it. Thanks for the information. I found a link and I think I'll be adding that game to my library when and if it gets released. I'll more than likely back them as well, when I can afford it. Thanks again for the heads up about this game...