Stealth22

Car model names appear as hashes

Hey all,

Ever since I reinstalled GTA V (I installed a new hard drive in my laptop and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10), almost all of the car model names in my plugins appear as hashes, not the name.

It happens in EVERY plugin...Speed radar, Police Radio, my callouts, you name it. Instead of a notification saying "The suspect vehicle is a black Buffalo", it will say something like "a black 0xeee4dfd" (Thats not a real hash, but you get the idea)

It appears to be random each time, but I'm going to pay closer attention to it now.

I am running the latest version of GTA V, and the latest RPH. No blocked DLL's to my knowledge, and the EXE's all have Admin rights.

I did a fresh install of GTA V, except instead of letting it download 60GB, I copied my GTA V folder from my old hard drive. So nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

Have the same issue. Look into your OpenIV and double check in x64e.rpf, patchday3ng, those types of files to make sure you don't have any inconsistencies, i.e. files that don't belong there. I found I had a few, and deleted them. This seemed to cut down on the number of times this happens, but it still happens. Let me know if you find a fix.

1 hour ago, forsakenbacon17 said:

Have the same issue. Look into your OpenIV and double check in x64e.rpf, patchday3ng, those types of files to make sure you don't have any inconsistencies, i.e. files that don't belong there. I found I had a few, and deleted them. This seemed to cut down on the number of times this happens, but it still happens. Let me know if you find a fix.

Another thing I get is, I can't seem to drag and drop files with OpenIV. If I drag and drop a file, it looks like the file was replaced, but it never actually gets replaced. I always have to right click, click Add, select the files, and then they get added/replaced into the RPF that I have open. Dragging and dropping them NEVER actually replaces them.

Again, this issue has only started happening since the re-format.

I suspect it may be because I have GTA V installed under C:\Program Files (I have the retail version, not Steam), which it wasn't before. The reason it is now is because I wanted GTA V on my new SSD. I think I might try moving it to a different directory and seeing if both these problems persist.

Windows restricts applications from writing to C:\Program Files, as part of User Account Control. So I suspect that is whats happening here. Not sure though.

Edited by Stealth22

38 minutes ago, Stealth22 said:

Another thing I get is, I can't seem to drag and drop files with OpenIV. If I drag and drop a file, it looks like the file was replaced, but it never actually gets replaced. I always have to right click, click Add, select the files, and then they get added/replaced into the RPF that I have open. Dragging and dropping them NEVER actually replaces them.

Again, this issue has only started happening since the re-format.

I suspect it may be because I have GTA V installed under C:\Program Files (I have the retail version, not Steam), which it wasn't before. The reason it is now is because I wanted GTA V on my new SSD. I think I might try moving it to a different directory and seeing if both these problems persist.

Windows restricts applications from writing to C:\Program Files, as part of User Account Control. So I suspect that is whats happening here. Not sure though.

Hmmm. You use WinRar? WinRar and Dragging/Dropping are always having a fight on my computer apparently, though I never have that problem. Try 7zip if you use WinRar, I guess. And does the same go for ProgramFiles (x86)? not sure if that makes a difference at all though. I have the Stream version though.

I am also having this issue, my game is currently installed under ProgramFiles (x86) right now.  I couldn't find any issues within OpenIV either.  I have had this issue for quite sometime and nobody else seemed to have had it, hopefully someone can find a fix.

So I was talking to someone about this...and I think I know what the issue might be.

I don't think its Windows UAC at all...UAC only restricts write permissions to Program Files, but you should be able to read without any issues. Not to mention the fact that I run GTA V and RPH with Admin rights, so UAC should never come into the picture.

Do you guys have added/standalone vehicles installed? Because I do, and I don't think I did it properly.

I think the game is having issues reading the vehicles.meta files. But I'll have to reverse my meta file changes and see if that fixes it...probably won't be able to get it to it until later this week though.

I do I have dbocks CVPI as a standalone.  So how did we install wrong it? 

After looking into it appears I can see the x64e vehicles fine.  When it comes to dlcpack vehicles that is a different story, Im still getting hashes for those.  The only edited vehicle.meta file I have is under mpluxe2 for Dbock's CVPI.

Edited by jmanc6

Hmm. I'll look into my vehicles.meta and delete any unused standalone vehicles and report back. I have a few standalone's in there, but the only one I really use is corrumpo (modded coroner van)

So I was fiddling around with this issue last night:

• Its definitely not Windows UAC. I moved my GTA V folder out of Program Files, and the issue was still happening.
  • I replaced (or thought I did) the vehicles.meta files I modified with the stock ones, and no go. I could have missed one though.
  • Most of the vehicles this was happening with (or at least a couple I tried) were in x64e.rpf. I replaced this RPF with the stock one, and reinstalled my 'POLICE' CVPI. This didn't fix it either.
  • I then removed the OpenIV ASI script; the one that loads all of the modded objects/vehicles on startup, basically making my GTA V install almost completely stock/vanilla. When I did this, the issue went away.

I suspect that something has gotten corrupted in one of the RPF archives, and is causing this problem. I may have to ultimately reinstall all of my mods from scratch. I don't have a whole ton of vehicle mods installed, but its still going to be a pain.

One thing I did not do was completely remove all of the standalone vehicles that I have...probably would have been a good idea, but it was getting late, and I had to get up early for work. I don't have a lot of standalone vehicles though...in fact, I think I only have like two. Those would be the custom Coroner speedo van, and the LAPD Ford Explorer. I don't remember if I had the Explorer before reinstalling Windows 10, but I don't think I did. The coroner van though, I've had for a while, and I don't ever recall this issue happening before.

So either I installed that Explorer incorrectly when I tried to make it a standalone vehicle, or something else is causing this.

Either way, its probably going to involve me taking 3 hours to reinstall everything. What fun! /sarcasm

@forsakenbacon17, let me know if you're able to make any headway with this.

Hmm  So basically you've just returned your vehicles to vanilla. Is there a way to easily do that, so that I can reinstall all my vehicles? (can't wait! (More sarcasm)) ill take a closer look when I get home. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Stealth22 said:

If you use the "mods folder method" as suggested by the OpenIV team, you can turn that mechanism off, which would make GTA V load all of the vanilla RPF archives.

I don't use a mods folder unfortunately, which I really should be doing, but oh well. 

Sorry to necrobump a thread, but i'm having the exact same issue and I thought I might as well bump this instead of making a new one.

My problem only seems to be appearing on a number of cars, instead of all of them; my last two traffic stops I checked the plates on an Ingot and a Mesa and Gauntlet and they all showed the correct name, but later that same session I ran the plates on a cement mixer and it came back with a hash instead of a name. It also appears that LSPDFR and Police Radio's plate lookup works for most vehicles, but when I get told about a car by a witness from a callout addon it just gives me a hash instead of a name.

I was wondering if anyone in this thread had solved the issue, it's not a major issue, but its very annoying. The only custom car mod I have installed was the coroner speedo by Smaen and I checked if their were multiple entries for it in my update.rpf and the DLC folders but I found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't gone through and reinstalled all the vehicles yet. Its a huge undertaking, and I'm too busy (read: lazy?) to do it, lol.

Once I get a chance to do this (perhaps this weekend?), I'll post back here with the results.

12 minutes ago, forsakenbacon17 said:

I reinstalled and it fixed the problem, but then I ran a plate and it was back. This only happened once and has not since 

I wonder if it falls back to the hash if it takes too long for the game to search for the name?

1 hour ago, Stealth22 said:

I wonder if it falls back to the hash if it takes too long for the game to search for the name?

Maybe... But would that explain why a reinstall fixed it, I mean, it was a fresh game but I still had all my old vehicles. (I put all my modded ones back in)

49 minutes ago, forsakenbacon17 said:

Maybe... But would that explain why a reinstall fixed it, I mean, it was a fresh game but I still had all my old vehicles. (I put all my modded ones back in)

Yeah, but what if your CPU took too long to find the name? I'm not saying thats what happened, but that would explain it happening only once...

forsakenbacon17 likes this

1 hour ago, Stealth22 said:

Yeah, but what if your CPU took too long to find the name? I'm not saying thats what happened, but that would explain it happening only once...

Ah, that makes sense. But that would more explain it if it only happened once or twice, but on my old game it would happen all the time. But some vehicle models were exempt from this. Either way, very weird.

I forgot to post about this...

About 2 weeks ago, I went ahead and created a new mods folder, and started installing my mods from scratch. The hash problem went away, so I'm pretty sure I screwed something up when installing those standalone vehicles.

Last night, I just reinstalled the Explorer as a standalone vehicle, but this time I did it in a new custom DLC pack, to keep things clean. I didn't have a chance to see if the hash thing is back, but chances are, the vehicle names should still be fine. It was only one vehicle, with a completely new name and everything.