Sign in to follow this  
KN1IGHT

GTA IV Install on Windows 8

Hi guys,

I recently got a new PC recently which has Windows 8

I've tried running the GTA IV Installer which returns the error of

"Your system is incompatible with %P"

I've tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP 3), and the Installer window opens, the green bar showing the progress goes about 3/4 of the way, and then it says "Not Responding"

Any thoughts?

Best,

KRI

P.S. PC Specs are in my signature

This post is useless, look at the second pined topic.

This post is useless, look at the second pined topic.

The topic didn't help me, because I'm installing and not running the game.

That is how to run it after it's installed.

GTA IV isn't even installed on my new PC yet

Best,

KRI

E

Edit: I got the installer working.

Instead of using the Autorun application on the disc, I had to go into the CD's Files, go to the GTAIV folder, run the Setup.exe application in compatibility mode for Windows Vista SP2.

It's currently installing.

Will reply back on how the install went, and if the game starts.

Edited by Knight Rider Info

Hi guys,

I got GTA IV Installed, and inserted xlive.dll to fix the WS10 Error I was receiving.

Now when I run GTA IV, a command prompt window pops up, then disappears.

Then a window pops up saying Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working, and that Windows is looking for a solution to the problem.

I've tried following the topic about how to run it in Windows 8, and that didn't help.

This appears when I run LaunchGTAIV.exe as Administrator.

Best,

KRI

Bump.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Hi guys,

I got GTA IV Installed, and inserted xlive.dll to fix the WS10 Error I was receiving.

Now when I run GTA IV, a command prompt window pops up, then disappears.

Then a window pops up saying Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working, and that Windows is looking for a solution to the problem.

I've tried following the topic about how to run it in Windows 8, and that didn't help.

This appears when I run LaunchGTAIV.exe as Administrator.

Best,

KRI

I have Windows 8 on my Vaio laptop, and I run GTA4. It was a PITA to get it to run, but I eventually did, and these were the steps I took, in this EXACT order.

1. I recommend to have a fresh install of the game. Since you put xlive in the directory, you may have to uninstall and reinstall. Try these steps first before uninstalling, and if they don't work, uninstall, reinstall, and do them again.

2. After the game is installed, try and run it. You more than likely won't be able to. At least get to the point where you have to enter the product key.

3. Uninstall the GFWL that came with it.

4. Install latest version of GFWL. After this is done, you may want to try to run it again. I recently had my system wiped, and the game ran for me after this step. However, when I first got this computer, it didn't, and I had to download the 1.0.7.0 patch. Only after I did that did it run.

5. If it did not run, download and install the 1.0.7.0 patch.

I had actually no trouble with installing GTA IV on Windows 8.

But I did have manually installed the newest GFWL client. Do this before GTA IV

Once GTA is installed you can simply run it as admin and it will work. atleast in my case. You may need to install Rockstar Social Club seperatly after installing GTA, but you will know by an error. the setup for that can be found on the disc or in the install directory of GTA

I tried the patch on rock star games' support site

It uninstalled social club that gets installed with the disc, stating that it isn't needed.

I got as far as the "Starting a New Game" screen, then my computer shut itself down to do updates.

Now the only problem I face, is that the GTA IV folder in my program files, is read only, and the game won't play because of that.

I've repeatedly tried changing the read only setting, to turn it off

It just reverts back to read only.

But when I get home, I will try what KM964 suggested

Btw, without xlive.dll I got the WS10 Error

Hey guys,

I tried uninstalling GTA IV, and installing latest GFWL Client.

Reinstalled GTA IV, used the patch, got to the main menu, clicked start, and got as far as past "Starting a New Game" then it quit, because of some error.

The error stated to uninstall or restart something.

And now I'm back to the read only problem with the GTA IV Folder

Best,

KRI

Hi guys,

I followed an article, because I was getting the Fatal Error WTV190 and reinstalled GFWL.

I got LCPDFR installed successfully, but when I try run the game, it says the following:

"Exception EFCreateError in module DSOUND.dll at 000165C.

Cannot create file C:Program Files (x86)Rockstar GamesGrand Theft Auto IVasilog.txt'. Access is denied"

That is because my GTA IV folder is read only.

I uncheck read only, click apply, then okay, and it reverts back to read only.

I had it working once, until I got the fatal error WTV190.

I don't know if that's fixed now, because of the error quoted above.

Any thoughts?

Best,

KRI

The reason you're getting that error is because you have to make the game moddable...it's not moddable right out of the box. There are a couple of programs to use, but GTA4-Launcher worked for me. So, remove ALL files that aren't part of the original game (like LCPDFR and xliveless) and run this application. What it does is it patches the filelist document in the game's files. The readme included may say you have to run the application every time prior to launching the game, but I just ran it once....when I was making my game moddable. I've never had to run it since. Also, this will allow you to permanently get your files out of read-only mode.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't...well, I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge can go.

Sorry

Forgot to update this post.

I finally got it to work.

Don't ask me how. Lol

I have to run LaunchGTAIV.exe as an Administrator everytime, to get it to work, and I have vigorously tested it.

I've quit the game and restarted as a test.

Quit the game, shut down pc, restarted pc, started game as a test.

Both tests were successful.

No errors!

Thank you to everyone who helped me on this! :)

Best,

KRI

Edited by Knight Rider Info